- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tar tar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar (i like my cream a bit sweet if you don't just omit the sugar)
- Strawberries or any fruit you like (preferably with some sour taste)
- Raspberry filling
- Preheat oven to 100°C. Line baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Draw a 10 cm disc on the paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites, cream of tar tar and salt in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar is dissolved. Rub a little meringue between your fingers, if it’s still gritty, continue to whisk until sugar dissolves. Sieve in the cornflour and lemon zest and fold until just combined.
- Scoop the meringue mixture into a piping bag with round tip and pipe evenly among the prepared discs or spoon the meringue mixture evenly among the prepared discs and smooth the surfaces. Bake, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 50 minutes or until the meringues are crisp and is dry to touch. Turn oven off. Leave meringues in oven, with the door ajar, to cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form and add in the icing sugar. Spoon onto the top of the pavlova. Decorate the top of the pavlova with rasberry filling and strawberries . Serve immediately.